Bangerter Three Interchanges Design-Build
- Owner: Utah Department of Transportation; Region 2
- Location: Salt Lake City, UT
- Core Competencies: Earthwork, Crushing & Asphalt, Structural Concrete, Pipelines & Drainage
The Bangerter Three Interchanges Project includes converting three currently at-grade intersections into grade separated, freeway-style interchanges. These interchanges are located at 62nd South, 104th South, and 126th South. The project will dramatically improve safety and traffic mobility on Bangerter Highway throughout the Salt Lake Valley.
The project team is a Joint Venture of WW Clyde and Ralph L. Wadsworth Construction. Each interchange includes demolition of the existing facilities and reconstruction of new utilities, drainage, MSE walls, noise and retaining walls, three new bridges, asphalt and concrete pavements, signals, lighting, ATMS, and many other improvements. The 62nd interchange also includes the removal and replacement of a pedestrian bridge spanning over 62nd South.
The Bangerter Highway project boasted over 500,000 man-hours and with the aid of project-specific safety program guidelines that protected both the workers and the general public. The project wrapped with no incidents that required recording, while also boasting a 0.0 OSHA incident rate and an experience modification ratio of 0.0.
Extensive coordination and partnership with the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake, the West Jordan City Police, Utah Highway Patrol, Taylorsville Police Department, and the South Jordan City Police led to even greater safety accommodations that provided efficient and safe handling of roadway incidents and safety logistical details and plans.
With a project of this magnitude, construction required an enormous amount of material and infrastructure, including:
- 96,000 CY of concrete paving,
- 356,000 SY of asphalt paving,
- 720,000 CY of earthwork and aggregates,
- 1772 tons of structural steel,
- 15,000 CY of structural concrete,
- 114,000 SF of MSE wall,
- 11,110 LF of noise wall installation,
- 60,541 LF of drainage pipe,
- 473 drainage structures,
- 78 manholes,
- 48,807 LF cast in place barrier
- 7190 LF pre-cast barrier.